Thursday 8 December 2011

Day 25 – Kyoto


Ciara causes widespread panic at breakfast when she mishears 'Lunchtime in Japan' for 'Landslide in Japan' which she repeats loudly several times. I put our Chinese dining companion at ease but not before several surrounding holidaymakers have jumped out of the window unable to face the prospect of another natural disaster. On the plus side, I got to finish their toast.

Not content with the Silver Pavilion yesterday, today I step up a notch and visit the Golden Pavilion which...

…OK enough religion!  After 24 days (and yesterday in particular) if I see another temple, shrine, pavilion, scripture, sculpture, painting, talisman, gate, garden or get even the faintest whiff of incense, I am liable to do a Kendo Nagasaki (1980s Japanese wrestling legend, for those of you who didn't watch World of Sport) go ballistic, and put an innocent passer-by into a half-nelson.

The Manga Museum on the other hand was a great distraction, a must for anyone who believes that a man can fly or anyone who just likes looking at weird Japanese illustrations of girls being attacked by giant octopuses. The museum contained enough exhibits that I happily stayed for over four hours engrossed in the original artworks, storyboards and stories of the drunken antics of the authors. If I could have read any of the comics I may still be there now.

In the evening I was in a noodle restaurant which showed me the future, no it wasn't caused by a bowl of hallucinogenic mushroom soup, but an automatic waiter. The concept is so simple that even a cow could use one – provided it could avoid the chef's cleaver for long enough. A machine stands just inside the door of the restaurant, it features pictures of all the dishes and drinks on the menu with buttons below each, simply make your choice, insert the cash, then take your ticket to the chef who whips it up and brings it to your table. 

No more trying to get a disinterested berk's attention, no waiting for the bill, or the change. Waiters and waitresses everywhere you have been warned your days are numbered and I will remind you of this the next time I get a 'I'm so busy, you'll have to wait' look. 

No comments: