Saturday 15 December 2007

Day 8 – Jasper


Once more into the snow dear friends! With our train ticket to Vancouver booked and the thought of temperatures no longer in the minus (Vancouver is a balmy 2 degrees) we decided on one last jaunt into the snow. Saving the coldest for last we went on a dog sled armed with 3 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of trousers, 3 t-shirts, a jumper, a jacket, gloves, scarf, hat, hand & feet warmers and some thermal underwear I was ready. Unable to move but ready. 

We had initially wanted to go crazy on the snowmobiles but had been given the old British Rail classic of 'wrong type of snow, guvna', so we settled on the dogs. It was an absolute cracker of a day, I amused myself by constantly screaming 'unleash the hounds of hell!' which I think came from a 1970's Hammer Horror film or it might not. Either way, I was having fun and wearing enough clothes to keep a Sudanese refugee camp in business for 6 weeks I was warm too.

Ciara and I took turns driving the sled through 9 kilometres of snow and ice and even had time to fit in a barbecue for lunch (note: barbecues + knee deep snow = hypothermia). The dogs were great and the next time London grinds to a halt due to an inch of snow I will be visiting Battersea Dogs Home.

In the evening we dined with 3 Australians we had gone dog sledging with in the aptly titled 'Dead Dog Bar'  and ordered a plate of nachos which turned out to be bigger than the mountain we had skiied down 2 days ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i have just re-looked at that photo - is that Ciara in the push chair type wagon!!