Saturday 26 December 2009

Day 17 – Quito to Banos


I started the long road South to Rio by taking a four hour bus journey from Quito to the fantastically monikered 'latrine' – granted it doesn't quite translate as latrine, more like bathroom, which could be something to do with the thermal baths they have here. They also make toffee, a lot of toffee.


They have tons of tourist offices, and consequently, loads of touts. For $70 some dude offered to take me mountain biking and hiking on the slopes of the Volcano Tungurahua, after some consideration and a little bit of research, I realised that I could hire my own bike for $6, walk where I bloody well wanted and not have to put up with some Ecuadorian gobshite in my ear all day, so I went for that option, but that is tomorrows tale.


Sud América Street Snack League © – the latest addition is a skewer of beef, salami, pepper and plantain (which is a cross between a banana and a potato if you didn't know and seems to be served on every plate over here). The beef was good, the salami god awful. so:


1. Fried meat and plantain balls with a shredded salad – $1.50

2. Beef, salami and plantain kebab – $0.75

3. Plantain and cheese fritter – $1.00

No comments: