Monday 14 December 2009

Day 8 – Galapagos Islands


Did the guide say we will be doing our first walk at 5.45am? Yes, he did.


Overnight the boat had sailed to Espanola island and just to give you some small satisfaction I was forced out of my bed at that ungodly hour into a small dingy in the torrential rain and howling wind to see yet more animals – the novelty could begin to wear thin.


We arrived back on the boat at 8am soaked to the skin, I had been out of the shower for approximately 45 seconds before the guide told me to 'change' into my wet clothes as we were about to arrive at a great snorkeling site, true enough it was great but it's not often I get drenched twice before breakfast.


Back on the boat again I was just settling down for a couple of hours relaxation when the captain decided there could be no better time –


ever –


than right now –


just as I had dried for the second time –


to stage an emergency drill and make everyone get in the lifeboats. If he was doing it to annoy the guests he succeeded. I was just relieved the ship had not sunk in the previous 2 days and I was saturated... again.


I opened the cane sugar rum -– then smelt it and put the lid back on.

No comments: