Monday 17 January 2011

Day 13 – Santiago de Cuba


It is much hotter today than it has been since I arrived, just what I needed when my first task of the day was to change some Cuban Convertible Pesos into Cuban Pesos. Simple? No, clearly not, this is Cuba.

After queuing for 20 minutes in the first bank I gave up and left convinced that the teller was in some kind of persistent vegetative state. After queuing for 15 minutes in the second bank I was told 'We are not allowed to exchange money'. After queuing for 15 minutes back in the first bank I was told 'We do not exchange Cuban Convertible Pesos to Cuban Pesos' – I didn't bother to ask why they don't exchange between their own two currencies. Finally, I found somewhere that would do it, total changed = £14.

After that I had little enthusiasm for the Cathedral, although I was mildly amused by the fact it has been destroyed four times in the past by a variety of earthquakes, pirates and bad architects.

Cuban Beer League
Surprisingly I have found a new beer. which goes straight into last place and is unlikely to move unless I find paint stripper in a tin.

1. Bucanero
2. Cristal
3. Cacique – In Latin America Cacique means chief, this beer is no chief.

No comments: