Thursday 13 January 2011

Day 9 – Trinidad


Due to the previous nights excesses with the local gut rot (I honestly had no idea a drink as bad as Havana Club came in 6 different varieties) I am feeling rather fragile today and decide a visit to the beach resort of Playa Ancon is about the most strenuous thing I can manage. However, the sun is blazing so I leave after about an hour and adjourn to a local bar.

The owner of the casa we are currently staying at seems to have also attended the Henry The VIII school of cookery and lays on a banquet in the evening with enough food to feed forty people – there were four. We are joined at dinner by Olga and Nadine (names fabricated for reasons about to be explained) from Russia, over the next two hours, they said one word to me (granted they may not have spoken English), completely ignored the cook (granted they may also have not spoken Spanish) and only exchanged two sentences with each other. I imagine the conversation went along the lines of "This is a lot of food Olga', "Yes Nadine this is a lot of food'.

I leave the chuckle sisters staring menacingly at their fruit salads before I get dragged any further into the conversation.

Cuban Street Snack League


1. Pizza – The kind of pizza you get in Cuba bears little resemblance to the kind you would find in a Milanese restaurant. In fact it looks more like a cheese sandwich that has been run over, still at 15p a pop who I am I to complain.
2. Pork rolls

No comments: