Wednesday 19 January 2011

Day 17 – Baracoa to Santa Clara


I encounter another typical Cuban travel complication as I attempt to buy a bus ticket to take me back west across the island towards Havana. I want to get to Santa Clara but the bus I am getting on in Baracoa does not go that far, to continue my journey I have to change in Santiago de Cuba but until I actually arrive in Santiago de Cuba (which will not be until 19.00) I cannot buy a ticket. If I arrive and the bus is full I will have to spend a night there and get a ticket for the following day. The slightest goat related incident means I will miss the connection entirely.

We arrive in Santiago de Cuba with 50 minutes to spare and rush to the ticket counter, the guy at the counter tells us he cannot sell us a ticket for at least 20 minutes but first he will have to check if any are available. He then closes for a tea break. 20 minutes later he returns and gives us the good news that tickets are available and we will get on the bus. Something of an understatement really as if the passengers on the bus were combined we would have a good five-a-side football team, with no one to play.

Cuban Beer League:

1. Bucanero
2. Cristal
3. Cacique
4. Mayabe – I can taste no difference between any of Cristal, Cacique or this – horrible

No comments: