Saturday 22 January 2011

Day 20 – Cienfuegos


The plan seemed simple – which is enough to make it doomed to fail in Cuba. I want to get to Playa Giron which is just 70kms along the coast for some well earned relaxation and a bit of sun, sand and the odd Pina Colada.

The obvious place to start is the always reliable (if not terribly informative) bus station where I am told the bus to Playa Giron has stopped running, true to form, he can't tell me exactly why.

The next place I try is a private tour company who agree that buses no longer run to Playa Giron but they have not yet organised any alternative transport. I am told this by Cubatour, Cubacan, Cubacar and another one whose name eludes me but probably has Cuba in the title.

A taxi driver offers to take me to Havana for 40CUC, 'Good price, so how much to Playa Giron?' 'Also 40CUC Senor'. We debate at some length that the distance from Cienfegos to Havana is 254km compared to the mere 71km to Playa Giron., followed by a protracted discourse outlining the 5-hour motorway ride to Havana as oppose to the 2-hour jaunt along the coast, all to no avail. This taxi driver is not for moving and is either incredibly stupid or the road to Playa Giron is beset with giant car eating crocodiles.

Having wasted a good part of the day, and almost all my energy on this fruitless endeavour, I visit the amazing 19th century theatre followed by the church in the main square and give thanks to the lord for giving me the strength not to beat someone to death with my Lonely Planet guide to Cuba.

I resign myself to a fine evening meal and a cigar. The evening meal is impossible to come by so I settle for a fine cigar and an egg roll.

No comments: