Wednesday 3 February 2010

Day 60 – La Paz to Uyuni


Having spent a great deal of yesterday heartily laughing in the face of death, I trod carefully today making sure to keep a wide berth of any scythe-wielding, black clad skeletons.


La Paz has not been my favourite city, in all honesty I have become more attached to some of my mosquito bites than La Paz, so today I decided to give it a really good try and to try and find some redeeming features about the city. I had considered taking a 'Highlights of La Paz' tour but anticipated it being as excruciatingly tedious as an episode of Friends yet twice as long so passed on it and instead tried to gain entry to San Pedro, Bolivia's notorious maximum security prison located on an entire block in the middle of the city. The prison operates as a city with the place run wholly by the prisoners and guards only used to stop escape attempts. Tours inside the prison have been run by prisoners for many years but unfortunately they have been suspended recently due to the amount of hard drugs that the prisoners had been making and selling to the public.


As a last resort I walked to a viewpoint in the south to get a birds-eye view of the city. From up there it still looked uninspiring and dirty – I could just see more of it.


After dinner I headed for the bus station and another overnight bus journey, whilst on the bus we again met up with Geoff and Jenney.



No comments: