Tuesday 5 January 2010

Day 33 – Lima


After the pleasant surprise of Miraflores on my first day in Lima I visited the old city, first stop was the changing of the palace guards but after waiting 30 minutes for them to start we got bored pretty quickly as brass instruments and men walking in circles has never been my thing, so moved on to the menacingly named Museum of the Inquisition.


Initially we were refused entry for speaking English, but I managed to adopt an Australian accent and was let in. I must admit to being disappointed as the guide chose to ignore all of the gruesome wax exhibits on display, such as a man being stretched on a rack, another being force-fed water and instead regaled us with such random directions as 'Admire the beautiful ceiling' – choosing to ignore the poor sod hanging from it by his feet being beaten with a big stick. So the one place that I had been banking on being half decent joined the ever growing list of South American museum that are rubbish. It could have been saved if Michael Palin had jumped out on a Japanese tourist shouting 'Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition... '. But he didn't.


I decided to head back to the hostel but in order to do this needed to make sure that we got one of the few (out of the thousands) of buses that went down our street. I only realised that we had got the wrong one when I saw the Pacific Ocean and once again pulled into Miraflores. Bugger.


No comments: