Tuesday 19 January 2010

Day 48 – Cusco to Lake Titicaca


Back to the early starts and a 7am bus ride to Puno on the shores of Lake Titicaca, I had initially planned to spend a few days in Puno but upon arrival I was informed that a bus strike was about to hit the entire country in two days which could last for weeks. Peruvian bus drivers don't strike like they do in London (stand around the depot smoking and drinking endless cups of tea before pissing off home to watch Judge Judy at noon) these fellas mean business, they blockade roads, throw bricks at vehicles transporting passengers, harass elderly llamas – you get the picture, not nice.


After booking a ticket for tomorrow morning to take me into Bolivia, I managed to get on a boat that was doing an afternoon/evening tour of the islands which are still inhabited as they have been for generations, although I think when the Spanish first arrived they didn't so much as barter for the goods on offer as chop off a lot of heads.


So with darkest Peru now behind us, it's time for those all important awards, all winners will receive a pair of my socks at the end of the trip, they may even be dry by then and you can't ask for more than that:


Best hostel – Alegria (Nazca) a very swanky hotel at cut-price rates, I'm still not sure how we managed to beat the receptionist down quite so handsomely, she was only small I suppose.

Best activity – Machu Piccu, cold, wet and exhausted what's not to like?

Best meal – Chili Heaven (Huarez) twice the price of what I normally pay for a meal but worth every one of those extra £2.

Best snack – Spicy chicken Empanada (Huarez), beats a stale roll and jam for breakfast all day.

Best beer – Cristal, I'm not sure that it is the same Cristal that R&B singers and footballers enjoy but it's good.


No comments: