Monday 18 January 2010

Day 42 – Cusco


The plan for today was simple, visit a tour operator – Cusco has hundreds – and arrange a trek to Machu Picchu, however, I had stupidly forgotten that not only was I dealing with Peruvians but I was on Latino time thus what I expected to take no more than 30 minutes actually took over five hours. Close to exhaustion we eventually found a four day trek/bike ride to the ruins starting the next day.


Upon getting back to the hostel I was delighted to be informed by the receptionist that there had been a balls-up with our reservation and that rather than being booked in for the two nights we had requested we were only booked for one, as if to emphasize the point all our stuff had been taken from our room, put in the hall and the room already re-let. He then told me the place was now full. We didn't exactly go ballistic with anger (we were already too worn out for that) but it was very close so when the manager of the hostel proposed that we didn't pay anything for the previous night we felt we had won a small victory.


The next hostel we found was far better anyway, with a huge balcony and a great view of the city. It would have been perfect if I could have thrown fruit at the windows of the last hostel.


No comments: