Monday 18 January 2010

Day 44 – Trek to Machu Picchu


The rain had at last stopped which considering I had nine hours walking in front of me was much appreciated and long overdue and although my socks had dried out nicely my shoes were still wet so it made little difference.


The tour company's 100% guarantee of no more than 10 people in a group looked just fine yesterday with the nine that were on our bus, it started to look slightly dodgy today as the numbers swelled to 25 and far too many to even bother attempting to talk to. We followed tracks along the cliff edges and through the jungles following the river Rio Vilcanota which would lead us to Machu Picchu. The scenery was superb in places but not for the faint hearted as the narrow tracks clung precariously to the mountain side.


I arrived in the small village of Santa Teresa where I spent the next three hours lollygagging in the thermal springs and enjoying the first hot water I have felt since leaving Cusco after which we had a relaxing evening in a local bar.


No comments: