Thursday 7 January 2010

Day 37 – Arequipa


Not the best night's rest I have ever had, but as I didn't manage to sleep for more than about ten minutes at a time that is hardly surprisng. Even the carton of warm peach juice, dry crackers and Michael Jackson videos at 5am failed to raise my spirits but we were alive and, against all expectations, none of our luggage had been stolen so I had to take that as a bonus.


Having spent the last five nights on the coast, Arequipa is back in the Andes mountains but the altitude is only just over 2000m so the temperature is really nice. It's wonderfully sunny but with a beautiful fresh breeze running through the town which is overlooked by the magnificent snow-capped volcano El Misti. The majority of the older colonial buildings are built from a white volcanic rock which makes the town one of the most captivating I have visited so I spent the day happily wandering the streets.


No comments: